Traditionally, ampalaya “parya” in Ilocano is the main ingredient of the all time Ilocano favorite — Pinakbet dish however, with the advances in research/studies of the indigenous vegetables/crops, coupled with the “organic trend” of the society nowadays, ampalaya gets the attention in the field of alternative medicine.
But what do Ampalaya really have?
Ampalaya contains low calories but dense with precious nutrients. It is an excellent source of vitamins B1, B2, and B3, C, magnesium, folic acid, zinc, phosphorus, manganese, and has high dietary fiber. It is rich in iron, contains twice the beta-carotene of broccoli, twice the calcium of spinach, and twice the potassium of a banana.
Ampalaya also has a unique phyto-constituent that has been confirmed to have a hypoglycemic effect called charantin. There is also another insulin-like compound known as polypeptide P which has been suggested as insulin replacement in some diabetic patients. In fact, ampalaya is one of the best vegetable-fruit that helps improve diabetic and toxemia conditions.
- Ampalaya contains beneficial properties that cleanse the blood from toxins.
- Good in treating hangover for its alcohol intoxication properties. It also helps to cleanse, repairs and nourishes liver problems due to alcohol consumption.
- It has hypoglycemic compound (a plant insulin) that is highly beneficial in lowering sugar levels in blood and urine. It significantly improves glucose tolerance without increasing blood insulin levels.
- Improves energy and stamina level. Even sleeping patterns have been shown to be improved or stabilized.
- The high beta-carotene and other properties in ampalaya help alleviate eye problems and improve eyesight.
- Strengthens body’s immune system and increases resistance against infection.
- Help improve psoriasis condition and other fungal infections like ring-worm and athletes feet.
- Help in treating Asthma, Bronchitis and Pharyngitis.
- Good for rheumatism and gout.
- Helps in lowering blood pressure.
- Relives headaches.
- Can be used as a cough & fever remedy.
- Good in the treatment of intestinal worms and or diarrhea
- Helps prevent some types of cancer.
- It is antibacterial and antipyretic.